Wednesday 13 April 2011

JUST A STORY.........

I had written this story a long time back for "woman's era" magazine, but sadly it never got accepted lol. Anyway I am "pasting" it here so that you guys can get bored :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sitting on the verandah and looking at the rain used to be my favourite past time when I was a child. Now, I have grown up. But today I wanted to be the old me. I wanted to catch up on the small joys that life had to offer. Already I had missed an enormous part of it. I extended my hand out to catch the tiny drops and was pleasantly surprised by the coolness it gave to my mind. Yet, my eyes turned misty.


I saw him first on a rainy day. He walked up to me and gave me a smile. We had known each other in the past so many years through letters. We were meeting for the first time. I had never seen such a face like his. It portrayed innocence. He was very charming and we ended up talking like two long lost friends even though we were seeing each other for the very first time.





“Amma, phone adikkithu, naan edukkattuma?” my thoughts were cut short by jaanaki, my servant.

“No. I will take it” slowly I got up and took the phone.

“Hello” I said in a tired tone.

“Madhvi, I will be a bit late today. Don’t wait up for me. Have your dinner and go to sleep ok? Bye love”

My husband didn’t even bother to hear me say bye to him. He had already kept the phone.

I have been married for 3 months to a “well educated and rich” man, my parents found. He was suitable for me in every sense or so they thought. But, I never felt comfortable around him. He was the practical sort of guy, the total opposite of me. I loved dreams, poetry, rain and the small things life had to offer. But, he never has time for any of that. He is always busy working. I never complained either. Not, that he isn’t a good husband, somehow I never felt myself with him. I gave a small sigh and went back to sit on the verandah. By now the rain was beating down with all its might. I sat down and tried to pick up my thoughts from where I left off.

The song “Mein kade bandh kar” by Hariharan came into my mind. It was his favourite song……..no “our” favourite song. He would always hum it. He was such a great singer. I would always pester him to sing some ghazal or the other. While he sings, I would put my head on his shoulder and close my eyes. I always felt calm and secure with him.

We were slowly falling in love. From the “best friends” we had moved a lot forward. But neither of us confided this fact to each other.

One day I was writing a poem in tamil and I didn’t see my mom come up behind me. She slowly tapped me on my shoulders. I was startled and shut my book. This was a poem for him. After reading that, he would understand what I felt for him.
My mother looked at me. Her face was calm and filled with concern. My heart began to beat fast.


“Madhu, don’t ever let your Appa down. He harbors such high hopes for you. Don’t do anything to break his heart.” saying that she went out of my room. I sat there stunned. My dreams came crashing down. I perfectly understood what she felt.


I took my book and opened the page; I saw my poem looking back at me. The dream was getting shattered even before I woke up. I wrote down a sentence in the end “NOT MEANT TO BE!” that hurt! My fingers began to tremble.

In the coming days I began to either avoid him or treat him in a very friendly manner. He was quite baffled by the sudden turn of events. One day he called me up and told he loved me. He was on the verge of tears. But I told him very harshly that he was just a friend for me and not to contact me ever again. My heart was breaking. My lips were quivering with sobs waiting to come out and my eyes betrayed me by letting the tears run down my cheeks. Oh! If only he could see me now!

He did as he was told. I never heard from him ever again.

The radio began playing “Mein kade bandh kar” and it brought me to reality. Suddenly I heard the horn of a car and looked out to the gate. Who could that be? The security went and opened the gate; it was still raining hard.


It was sudheer, my husband. Why did he come early? He pulled the car on to the porch and got out. I looked at him questioningly.


“I wanted to surprise you. I know how you love the rain. I would love to take you on a ride in the car now”

I couldn’t believe it. Emotions were surging inside. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. I went running to him and threw myself into his arms.  I brought my lips close to his ears and told “ I love you sudheer” I didn’t want to keep it from him. I didn’t want to lose him. I didn’t want to commit the same mistake again. Now, I am happy and I am free.




And by the way, this is the song that I am referring to in the story. I used to love it.......still do..... :)


8 comments:

Natasha said...

That is a beautiful story! Cherishing what you have right now rather than thinking about what could have been..:) And the song is one of my faves too!

Shilpi said...

Wow, that is so b'ful :)
Love is such an awesome thing :)

PS: I truly love this song ! :)

Cheers!

Amber Lucas A Mused Blog said...

What great writing! Did you ever submit it to the magazine? It was a lovely read.

Amber
Ambersmouthwash

Jennifer Fabulous said...

This is beautiful. I'm sorry it didn't get accepted. You should try other publications!

Perspectivemedley said...

Nice story! keep rocking!

UB said...

That was so wonderful. Try submitting it somewhere. It really is nice.

lifeontherocks said...

@everyone:-thanks for all the kind words. I dont get too much time to write and that is y now, i started a blog to pen down my stuff.....anyway in here nobody can reject me rt.....lol. once more thanks guys

Gowthami Nandigala said...

this is really an awesome story...it appears to be true..s a real story in someones lives...The end part is the main thing that says that one should feel happy for what he/she possess...
Luvd it alot :)

keep writing...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...