Monday 18 April 2011

Social Networking can "GIVE" you family......

Prologue:-

We are two sisters and I don't have a brother. I have always pined for an elder brother, there is no rhyme or reason to it. But God answered my prayers in the form of a brother who is 6ft3 tall and I met him through Yahoo chat!!!! Yup, you heard me right. I met him when I was just 15 yrs old, let me not get into the details (lest he might sue me LOL).He was the one there to support me 'coz I was going through a rough patch and I have to say he is rude, brash, crude, insensitive......more than that, he is my BROTHER. Who said blood is thicker than water????? Whoever said that never took into account relationships like friends or even "acquired" family members; though I hate the term!!!!



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My eyes are misty. Tears well up in my eyes and for the first time in my life I was speechless. My heart was brimming with joy, with love. Yes.....at last I found him,the person whom I have been searching in all this 17 years. My Brother!


Mine is a very close knit family. Just four people are there in my home including myself. My older sister is the one person I love the most after my parents. I am surely a blessed child. The gods have given me everything. A loving family,good friends, nice school all the things which a small heart can ever wish for....except....the love of a Brother.......

From a very small age i have seen my friends and my cousins playing with their elder brothers.Me , being a 5 year old at that time would look up to the sky (as my Amma told that the god's home is there) and fold my hands and close my eyes to say a silent prayer inside my heart. A prayer which i am so very familiar with. I always ask for a brother, tall,big and strong like the He-Man in the cartoons I used to see at my younger ages.

I would always go to the doorstep and look out. My eyes will search each and every passerby hoping that Ganapathi Bappa will soon send me a brother. How naive I was! My Vallayammachi (grandma) used to narrate stories from the puranas. From Mahabharatha I came to know that the kauravas had only one sister. How nice it would have been for Dusshala to bask in the love of so many brothers who love her so much! I often ask my Vallyamachi as to whether I will be getting my own elder brother or not? She will give me a smile and tell me to wish real hard, so that the gods might listen to my pleading and actually give me one. I, believing it, would pray hard each and every single day…..

Days went by, I grew up.I became intelligent enough to understand that I was so very stupid to pray to Gods and I can’t have any brother. But then also, I never let go of the hope. I nurtured the beautiful moment of seeing my brother for the first time in my mind. The little girl inside me would keep on telling me to have the faith in Ganapathi Bappa and he will surely one day give me a brother out of nowhere! But the rational part of me would tell me to grow up and let go of childish fantasies.

Imaginary friends are always part of a girl's life. So I created an imaginary brother and named him ARJUN. The mighty one among the Pandavas. I have always been fascinated by the character ARJUN. The perfect one with the Ganthiva, who had lord krishna for his best friend. Nobody could defeat him! My brother, the one I had created was also like that. When loneliness cave in on me I would talk with my ARJUN and every single depression would vanish.

Little did I know that the Gods would hear my prayer. I talked with my brother, Mr.cool, for the first time a few months back. To be precise on August 2000. He came to me to give me advice. I am the type of person who doesn’t like anyone restricting me. I had never called anyone Anna ……but him…..He simply made me say that word out of my mouth.

Yes, we would fight….like cats and dogs. He would have an opinion about anything and everything. We had a “Formal Relation”. I spoke to him through Phone and typed long mails. He would keep on sending me cards and advices.

After some months, he said, that his task was over and that I am back to my old momentum and that he should say good bye from my life. An unbearable pain gripped my heart. I was startled to find out the depth of my love towards him and how I was affected by this person , whom, I called “Anna”. I couldn’t let him go. I haven’t seen his face. But I was much too familiar with his sound.

For the first time after such a long break I folded my hands, looked up to the sky and prayed hard to Ganapathi Bappa and he did hear my prayer without any fail.

I know that what me and annan share is a strange relation. People outside may not be able to understand it. But my heart says that this bonding had to happen. It was “meant to be”! My love towards my brother is as pure as Lord Krishna.

We met face to face on april 2001. He smiled and my eyes grew misty and my heart was ready to burst. I met my ARJUN at last! Inside my mind I was crying with joy and tears did drop down my cheek but I wiped it off quickly. I didn’t want him to see that I was this sentimental.

A strange sense of peace enveloped me. It was raining outside at that very particular moment. Yes, the nature was also rejoicing by shedding her tears along with me………..


(The story contains facts and if by any chance you find  out that this is fiction, just go ahead and sue me. LOL. I wrote this atleast 4 yrs back but baring it to the world only now.This is my story......this is how i found my long lost brother........)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Epilogue:- He is married now, has a beautiful wife and an even more beautiful baby daughter. I am married to a wonderful man. I am happy that our respective spouses understand our bond even though we "met" on the net!!! Our families are close too.....I have seen a lot of people finding their life partners through the net but am sure this relation is one in a billion!!!! :)



I know am being sappy with this song, guess am like that :D

6 comments:

pavani reddy said...

hi anju how u feeling now??i m touched i must say even i wanted a brother for long time in my life and even found few in my school but couldnt keep it this strong and long..

lifeontherocks said...

@pavani:-am feeling a bit better. ya i sure am blessed to have such a great person in my life.

Tanveer said...

This is such an interesting post.. The net sure throws up some interesting friends.. I have made a couple of very close friends myself :)

UB said...

Wow...that's so wonderful and rightly said...this is one in a billion case :p

Gowthami Nandigala said...

hi...hope everything is fine with u now...
This is a beautiful heart-touching post describing ur relationship wid ur 'much waited gift frm god'(ur bro)... :)

Jennifer Fabulous said...

Wow you are so lucky to have this brother in your life! It is amazing how fate works sometimes. I love how the internet really does do a lot of good, even though it has it's bad qualities.

I have a very similar story to yours, but with a bad ending. Ten years ago I became best friends with an Indian guy, who was two years older than me. Just like you, he was like an older brother to me. We had lots in common. He was a journalist, like me, and we shared the same sense of humor. We even fought sometimes too! But last year, he got married to a girl his parents chose from another state. She hated me from the start and was very jealous. She could not understand our relationship was like brother and sister and not romantic at all. She forbid him to talk to me ever again and he complied. After nine years of being such close friends and being like family, he sent me one last e-mail. It hurt me so badly. :(

PS. I also want to thank you for your concern at my present unhappiness. Unfortunately, the reason I am so sad now is becauses of my best friend. She did something to hurt me and I'm afraid I have no friend to turn to. So that's why I'm in such a depressed state...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...